If you are after an environment-friendly solution for your commuting needs, it is time that you think about electric scooters. Electric scooters are described as compact vehicles perfect for short-distance travel. Electric scooters are popular in the UK because they are easy to steer and compact. With this, you can easily maneuver it in narrow spaces beating the traffic.
There are many electric scooters in the market but it is difficult to pick a suitable one that will meet your requirements if you do not know where to begin. To help you get started, here are the things to look for before buying a commuter scooter:
Ride quality is important because it can make or break your experience. You should consider these three factors that affect the ride quality:
- Suspension: suspension system is important because it is responsible for smoothing out your ride. In the end, it helps in keeping the scooter in control. In particular, the suspension system will maximize the friction between the tires for good handling and steering stability.
- Wheel size: there are different wheel size but as much as possible, you should avoid smaller wheels because they give rougher ride plus they are more vulnerable to getting stuck. It is important to choose more than 8 inches in diameter of wheels.
- Tires: if you are riding where there is a lot of sharp objects, it is better to choose solid tires but if you are after a better ride, it is recommended to use air-filled tires but with puncture protection.
When it comes to the speed of your scooter, there are four factors you need to consider – rider weight, motor power, surface and how hard the tires are pumped. It is better not to chase maximum speed. A 15mph speed is ideal.
You must know that there are three types of braking system:
- Foot brakes: this type of brakes needs you to stand on the read mudguard.
- Electric brakes: this type of brakes is low maintenance but they are known to be less effective for sudden stops.
- Disc and drum brakes: this is by far the best of all the braking system but this will wear out over time and they need to be serviced.
Another thing to look into is the range of the scooter. The range will depend on the battery cycle so you should compare the parameters so you can find something that will meet your requirements. Of course, you should choose the longest range but it can be expensive.
When it comes to determining the size of the scooter, you should consider the deck size, the fold-down size, the bar height, and its width. You mustn’t compromise the size because it can affect your riding experience and comfort.
If the manufacturer is confident, it will show in their warranty. If you come across a warranty, make sure that you read the details and determine what is favorable for you.